Last updated 2nd April, 2012
The “SWEeter Futures Outreach Program” is a unique program to the Sonora Region, which tracks the impact we have on the future of engineering by sharing engineering, math, and science with K-12 students during FY12. Our goal is impact to 25,000 students!!!
We’re about halfway through the fiscal year and know most the sections have already being doing a great job! Now we need the information you have collected so far and we would like to encourage all the sections to make an impact and help us meet our goal of providing outreach to 25,000 students (grades K-12) in the fields of engineering, math and science!
All part of the “SWEeter Futures Outreach Program” here in our Region, we’re continuing to track the impact our members have. The top 3 sections that provide outreach (on a weighted, ratio of members-to-students) will be rewarded with a generous stipend from the Region! WIN-WIN!!
Please continue to encourage your membership to hold outreach events for FY12 and jot down a few stats (number of SWE members, number of K-12, best practices, etc.) before you visit the tracker. If you’re struggling with what types of outreach events to hold, consider one of the following:
- Hands-on Demonstration/Workshop
- Presentation/Lecture (single instructor, not hands-on)
- Presentation/Lecture (multiple instructors, not hands-on)
- Panel Discussion
- Demonstration Booth/Table (not hands-on)
- Career Demonstration (i.e., “Career Day”)
- Mentoring (one-on-one)
- Mentoring (group)
- Science Fair Judging (with Student interaction/interview)
Register, find events near you, and track your outreach here:
Don’t hesitate to email with questions and please continue to make an impact to the future of engineering, math, and science!
Stephanie Loete – Region B Outreach Committee Chair
Calculation for how the FY12 “SWEeter Futures Outreach Program” winners will be selected:
* Note: Final SWEeter Futures Outreach Program winners will be calculated using June 2012 membership numbers.
The TOP THREE professional or collegiate sections with the highest ratios will be awarded a stipend! The stipend is to be used by the section for future outreach activities and the top three award winners are required to prepare a one-page write-up about the fund use before October 15, 2012.
Remember, FIRST PLACE will receive $1,500, SECOND PLACE will receive $1,000, and THIRD PLACE will receive $500!!!
Congrats to our FY11 SWEeter Futures Outreach Program award winners:
- FIRST PLACE ($1,500 Stipend): Las Vegas Valley
- SECOND PLACE ($1,000 Stipend): University of California, Riverside
- THIRD PLACE ($500 Stipend): Utah State University
- K-12 Students: 21,026 impacted as part of the FY11 program!
Congrats to our FY10 SWEeter Futures Outreach Program award winners:
- FIRST PLACE ($1,500 Stipend): Weber State University
- SECOND PLACE ($1,000 Stipend): Las Vegas Valley
- THIRD PLACE ($500 Stipend): University of California, Riverside
- K-12 Students: 12,240 impacted as part of the FY10 program!
Congrats to our FY09 SWEeter Futures Outreach Program award winners:
- FIRST PLACE ($1,500 Stipend): SWE – San Diego
- SECOND PLACE ($1,000 Stipend): SWE – Central New Mexico
- THIRD PLACE ($500 Stipend): SWE – Orange County
- K-12 Students: 6,000 impacted as part of the FY09 program!