Region B Mentoring
ABOUT THE PROGRAM:
The Region B Mentoring and Leadership Pipeline program is to develop the future leaders of the society and the industry. They will pair experienced SWE Members to those who are looking to grow. We are looking to introduce members to the great resources and benefits of the SWE community. We pair up mentor and protégé’s with each other that we believe that would benefit both parties.
Protégé: If you wanted to learn how SWE will help you in your professional career, learn about your section or become the next Society president, this program is for you. We will find the right match for you for your goals.
Mentors: This is the opportunity to give back to the Society in helping create the future leaders for the society and the industry. Share your great wealth of knowledge and experiences with those looking to their future. We will pair you with a protégé that will have a mutual benefit.
Telecons: We will also offer quarterly telecons on special topics to help guide the relationship or answer questions that anyone in the program may have. We are creating an inclusive environment that will help everyone in the journey through SWE and their careers.
HOW TO JOIN:
To join the next round of pairings please sign about on our Interest From by September 24th. We will try to get everyone paired before the society conference to provide a chance for pairs to meet in person.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR FY16 PROGRAM:
Sign-ups: August 1st – September 24th, 2015 (Interest Form)
Kick-off Meeting: October 8th, 2015
2nd Meeting: January 14th, 2016
3rd Meeting: April 14th, 2016
4th Meeting: June 2nd, 2016
Helpful Tips and Tricks:
- Be Respectful: they are volunteering and have insight they would like to share. Listen and have a good discussion between the pair.
- Be Prepared: it is a waste of both you and your mentor’s time if you are not prepared, if you agreed on homework, make sure it is completed, come ready with questions. Make sure the time you set aside is valuable to both you and your mentor.
- Be Open: Be open to what the mentor has to say. They are sharing their experiences, listen to what they have to say and willing to try new things. When you try, share the results.
- Be Honest: Be ready to know what you are willing to share and be honest of what you are presenting. If you are not sure, be willing to help both of you find the answer.
- Open Ears: Listen to your protégé and show you understand what they are asking or working through. They also may have some great personal insight and can take an opportunity to learn from them as well.
For The Relationship:
- Set mutual expectations: Talk about what both of you would like to get from this relationship and what is expected from both sides. This is a two way street for it to be a successful relationship.
- Set Operating Procedure: Set up a regular schedule or both understand how often you will talk and what each is will bring to the conversation.
The following webinars are available to SWE members.
Committee Members and Contact:
If you have any questions or comments feel free to contact the committee members.
Tasha Kamegai-Karadi, PE, Orange County Section
Susan Young, Los Angeles Section
Ocean Blue Products, Inc.