Last updated 25th September, 2011
Region B Leadership Coaching
SWE Leadership Coaching Committee (LCC) Objectives:
- Provide proactive leadership coaching to SWE organizational units
- Provide training to SWE leaders
- Provide the support essential to maintain healthy, vital, and growing sections, regions, and the MAL organization
Greater Salt Lake Section, Nov 2010
“With these types of professional development seminars, I see our section growing and becoming much stronger.” – Amy Jo Bowdidge, Section Rep
“The module on conducting meetings shared lots of relevant, practical tips that could be applied at work next Monday.” – Nadine Whitfield, VP
FY12 ABJ presentation: 60 Seconds to Win, Revving up your Leadership Acumen, FY12 ABJ Team Building compiled
Leadership Coach Joan Fisher kicked off this exciting session with highlights from a recent SWE webinar series on “Skirt Strategies: Women as Leaders” to emphasize the natural leadership abilities of women. (The webinar presenter will be one of the keynotes at the upcoming Western Regions Conference.) To experience team building and demonstrate leadership skills in real time, the ABJ audience was grouped into teams of four to tackle brain teaser exercises that were interspersed throughout the presentation. Leadership Coach Justina Mikals continued with portions of the Team Building LCC module and included an exercise to draft a personal SWE timeline, including first SWE encounter, favorite SWE moment, current SWE role, and SWE “Dream” role, which were then shared within the teams. See below for audience feedback:
- “It was interesting to get sort of a teaser of the Skirt Strategy webinar. I’m always interested in the webinars but it’s really hard to sit down and commit to one.”
- “I really enjoyed the statistics from the Skirt Strategies webinar – the facts about women as leaders and how they and their peers view them.”
- “Not only can I use this when meeting with my section officers, but the team building training can be an option for a member event.”
- “I will be talking with the region leaders about my SWE career aspirations to get feedback as I put together my career map and next steps.”
WE11 LCC Sessions:
- Membership is a Contact Sport, Saturday, October 15, 2011, 8:30 – 10:00 am
- Fund Development: the Art of Give & Take, Saturday, October 15, 2011, 10: 30 – 12:00 pm
- Succession = Talent Management + SWE Career Planning, Saturday, October 15, 2011, 1:30 – 2:30 pm
FY12 Western Regions C/LCC Conference Sessions:
The Region A, B and J professional and collegiate leadership coaches are offering the following three sessions of interest to our section and region leaders.
1. Collegiate Event Planning
Does your section want to sponsor an outreach event or host a corporate presentation, but does not know where to start? This module is designed to give helpful hints for planning events from large conferences to monthly meetings to social gatherings, touching on topics such as volunteer burn-out, advertising, and budgeting. You will gain tips for event planning and hear lessons learned from other sections.
Collegiate Lead Coach: Cassandra Janakos
(note: members of the professional leadership coaching team will also be present)
2. Succession Planning.
Do you know who your leaders will be next year? What about 5 years from now? Members of the Professional Leadership Coaching Team will walk your section leadership through the 8 step approach to succession planning. Together we will begin creating a plan for your section which you can put into action.
Professional Lead Coach, Esther Heller
(note: members of the collegiate leadership coaching team will also be present)
3. Succession Planning (cont.) and SWE Leadership Round Table.
Looking for new ideas for ongoing leadership challenges? Come and join several members of the professional and collegiate leadership coaching teams. After we finish our succession plans (with quick recap for those who missed part 1), we will open the session up to you, the section and region leaders and your concerns. Together we will share best practices and brainstorm solutions.
Coordinator, Esther Heller; professional and collegiate leadership coaches for Regions A, B and J.
**Now Available: The SWE Leadership Coaching Committee (LCC) presents the following FY12 Leadership Training Webinar Replays. **
New Section Officer Webinar (introductory)
- “I am prepared to do the job, inspired. I jotted down ideas to share.” Paula Brown
- “More knowledgeable about how SWE operates; resources to develop membership.” Debra Wright
Advanced Section Officer Webinar (refresher/knowledge share)
- “Loved the content…somewhat ~preaching to the choir~ but still an excellent refresher and motivator!” Joan Fisher
Region Leader Webinar (refresher/knowledge share)
- “The information I found most useful was the parliamentary process and specific best practices.” Heather Doty